Clearings was built in in the 1930’s, in the heart of Chelsea as a depository for the Peter Jones Department Store but changes in operating practice meant that it was no longer required for this purpose. Dixon Jones were appointed by John Lewis to obtain planning permission for a prime residential, new build development.
The site is relatively restricted and the surrounding streets have a very varied character. The design of the new apartment buildings takes reference from a combination of the existing building and the streamlining of Peter Jones, but also aims to be a building of its own time.
The two buildings take advantage of the very large apartments and their relatively deep plans to create floors comprising four corner units served from a central core. Some of the apartments are characterised by a sectional device that allows the main corner living spaces to have additional height creating very generous rooms with very good natural lighting. Each building is seven stories high, with large top floor penthouses exploiting the long uninterrupted views across London.
To the rear of the site, separated from the apartment buildings by a new pedestrian walkway, seven new four storey townhouses organised around a secluded garden court harmonise the scale and character of the scheme with that of the surrounding Victorian houses and a listed pub that sits at the end of the site.